RTI STATION NEWS

Please, people in the government of Slovakia be responsible

I am really disappointed by the decision of my government to ban English shows on the RTI radio. And I am fully against it! I want English back on RTI!!!
I must admit that the main reason why I was listening to RTI Radio while I was still in Slovakia was the fact that it was the only radio in Slovakia, which was broadcasting in other than Slovak language. Broadcasting in English was a great opportunity for me to improve my listening skills, vocabulary and pick up the "slang" of the native English speakers. It was a unique project in Slovakia and it was then when I could finally experience the benefits of Slovakia joining the EU. "United in Diversity", that's the motto of the new Europe. But how can we be "united" if we ban shows from our radios which broadcast in the official language of EU ?
Today we live in a world when one has to compete with others not only from one town, county or state , but with others from all over the world. Today we live in the times of global competition. How do we want to prepare our youngsters for this new world if we don't allow them to listen to the most important language - English ?
Banning English shows from RTI reminds me of the times when communists were in power and they wanted to control what could or couldn't be broadcast. It's definitely not something that a democratic government of a country, which is part of the EU, should decide to do in the 21st century!I can tell for myself that these shows really helped me to prepare me better for my studies and work abroad where speaking English is absolutely essential to succeed! 2 years ago, I was still in Slovakia when I came across these show. Then I started to listed to them regularly and I must admit that at the beginning I struggled to understand Eric and his quests even though I had been already learning English for 7 years. The difference in pronunciation between my Slovak teacher and him speaking English was huge!! However, thanks to these shows I gradually improved and improved.Then I decided to leave Slovakia and came to the UK to study. After I successfully finished my Business course in the UK I joined an international company in Brighton where I am working until now. Considering that I am now only 20, this is success and at the same time a great opportunity for me. And I wouldn't be able to achieve any of this if I didn't speak English. And that's where RTI also played its role too. Thank you for that RTI!!
So my opinion is that these English shows RTI was broadcasting have to be seen as a great opportunity for our people in Slovakia, because they give us a chance to learn and develop! I It helped me, and I am sure it did the same for others. And it can do the same for many many more people. We just have to allow them broadcasting in English again! I demand this!
Please, people in the government of Slovakia be responsible for this, allow RTI’s broadcasting in English!!
Kind regards, M.J.